Good Girls Wear Pearls!

And so do some 'Knotty Girls', some 'Cool Metal Chicks' and 'Wild Wire Women', too!

Welcome to the Pearls! Pearls!! Pearls!!! Blog Hop Reveal!



(Click on any of the highlighted words (Links) through out this post
to be taken to articles and/or videos about Pearls!)
 
 There are so many pearl quotes, but one of my all time favorites is this one:
 
The Pearl is the Queen of Gems and the Gem of Queens! ~Author Unknown~
 
I do believe the Pearl is the Queen of Gems and I don't think I'm alone in this belief.
 
Both the Romans and Egyptians cherished pearls for their mesmerizing beauty and it's recorded that pearls were used as adornment in the 5th Century BC, with even earlier mention of them being documented by the Chinese.

The Pearl has been regarded as the ultimate symbol of wealth and social status in certain areas (and eras) and has been (and still is) closely associated with love, marriage and the feminine/female aspect through out history. 

In today's modern world, pearls have waxed and waned in the fashion spotlight, often being regarded as stuffy, prim and proper; strictly for the more 'mature' crowd (Gasp!!). 
 
Fact is, pearls are never out of style. Nor are they 'stuffy'!


Click on any photo to enlarge it :-)


Their pure versatility and timeless beauty allows them to go with anything (from jeans to wedding gowns), with any person, for any reason, during every season.
(In my opinion, anyway!)
  
In recent years pearls have emerged once again, making a strong comeback not only in jewelry and accessories, but finding their way in/on just about everything we touch.

So, what better way to celebrate the beloved and appealing Pearl, than with a design challenge blog hop?

The rules were simple. Design something, anything, using pearls in the design. Real pearls or imitation ones, as many or as little as you'd like - the choice was yours.

Then I asked that you share where you purchased or received your pearls (preferable with a shop name and/or link) so we could all go shopping for more pearls after the hop!



Faceted Pearl and Copper Earrings
Lovely Green Faceted Pearls: Majestic Pearl
Super Cool Copper Components: Kristi Bowman Designs
Copper Ear Wires - MiShel Designs :-)
 
I've been in love with pearls since I was a little girl and in 2006 I earned my Pearls Diploma from the
Gemological Institute of America (GIA).

From the beautiful pearly whites of the Akoya, to the soft, creamy South Sea Pearls, to the various natural and dyed colors of today's freshwater pearls, I love them all, but the ones that take my breath away and will forever have my heart are Tahitian Pearls!
 
To me, their beauty is like no other on the planet and although I generally cannot afford to use them in my designs, I get my fix by adding dyed, freshwater cultured pearls in 'Tahitian' colors as much as I possibly can. 
I use pearls in many of my jewelry designs and "There isn't a pearl I've met that I haven't fallen in love with!" 


Triple Strand Pearl and Bali Silver Bracelet
Pearls: Bead World, Ayla's Originals and King's Ransom/Betty Sue King/Pearl Goddess
Clasp: Star's Clasps, Bali Spacer Beads: Ands Silver


This being so, and since I can't crochet, knit or sew, and I don't do much in the way of mixed media, I chose to create jewelry using pearls for this blog hop. 
(Surprise, Surprise!) 



Gorgeous Honkin' Ringed Pearls - Evergreen Trading Co. - 626-279-2723
Pretty Baroque Pearls - Beads Galore (there website was down - this is their facebook page)
Turquoise - Rincon Trading Co.
Beautiful Silver Button and Little Silver Star/Heart Charm on bracelet - Untamed Spirit Studios / Kim Hatzold
Leather Cord: Leather Cord USA
Waxed Jewelry Cord - Knotty Do-It-All / Sandra Younger

I've designed so many different pieces of jewelry using pearls in some way or another over the years and because I've been showing a lot of them here lately on my blog, I was hard pressed to come up with something new and refreshing to create and post for this challenge.
(Not to mention I had to go in for a root canal on Wednesday, too!!)




Knotted Freshwater Cultured Pearl and Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Bracelet
Pretty Baroque Large Hole Pearls - Beads Galore (there website was down - this is their facebook page)
Turquoise - Rincon Trading Co.
Beautiful Silver Button and Little Silver Star/Heart Charm - Untamed Spirit Studios / Kim Hatzold
Leather: Leather Cord USA
Waxed Jewelry Cord - Knotty Do-It-All / Sandra Younger

 
But, I did get a few things finished just in time.
(Nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?) 




Leather Knotted Pearl Choker / Double Wrap Bracelet
Super Honkin' Large Ringed White Pearls - Evergreen Trading Co. - 626-279-2723
Leather: Leather Cord USA
Button - JoAnn Fabrics
 
I've included links through out this post to various websites, tutorials, videos and/or articles on such pearl topics as the history of pearls, pearl farming, how to hand knot pearls, the care and storing of your pearls, Pearl Facts / Folklore, and more.

 ENJOY!!

(Just click on any of the highlighted words to be taken to something wonderful in the Pearl World!)


Leather Cord Charm Necklace and Complimentary Earrings
Cool Little Heart Charm - Untamed Spirit Studios / Kim Hatzold
Ear Wires and .999 Fine Silver Hammered Circle Links - MiShel Designs


You can click on the PEARLS page (up top) here on my blog anytime to browse the links I have to suppliers, articles, videos and more.


Men's "Christopher Columbus" Cross Arm-Wear
"Christopher Columbus" Hand Poured, Recycled Pewter Cross - Mike Buettner - (aka - The Hubs!)
Awesome, Big-Ass Tahitian Colored Freshwater Cultured Pearls - Majestic Pearl
Leather: Leather Cord USA, Button - JoAnn's
Waxed Jewelry Cord - Knotty Do-It-All / Sandra Younger


Plus, you can click here to go to the post I did earlier this week where I answered questions some of the participants asked and also provided links to more websites and videos as well.



"The Queen Mary"
Pearls: Majestic Pearl, Ayla's Originals, Evergreen Trading Co., Jennifer Gems, Kings Ransom/Betty Sue  King,
Pearl Paradise, Pearl Concepts, and Lucky  Gems
Faceted Smokey Quartz, Black Onyx - Designer's Own - (Sorry - I have forgotten where I got these stones!)
Swarovski Crystals, Czech Glass - Artbeads, Fusion Beads



 

I want to thank all the participants, some of whom mentioned their 'fear of pearls', but jumped in on this blog challenge anyway, for taking the time to create various types of handcrafted art using one of history's most beautiful and alluring gems!
 
So, grab a cup of black pearl tea, settle in and hop around to the participants below and check out all the wonderful ways they've used their glorious pearls!  
 
 
 
 
Until Next Time,
Peace, Love and Pearls, Baby!!
Cheers,

34 comments:

  1. My, oh my! Piece after lovely piece all decked out in pearls! What a stunning showcase, Michelle! Thanks for hosting this unique and delightful blog hop! I've been so anxious to see the designs! -Sharyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sharyl - I was anxious to see everyone's designs, too - I just love it when people use pearls in their designs!

      Delete
  2. Thank you to the hostess with the mostess! Shel, your pearl jewelry designs certainly show how much you understand and treasure these gems. Each piece is exquisitely finished. You've really stretch my ideas about stringing materials with pearls. And I am so grateful for your generosity in providing resources and education for all of us. I can't wait to dig into all of these links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda! I hope the links help people find out some new information about my favorite gem! Pearls are just so amazing (to me, anyway!) and I'm glad you have stretched your ideas on stringing materials - that's awesome. I forgot to mention that the cord that I have hand knotted my "Queen Mary" necklace with is C-Lon from the BeadShop.com - I'm afraid to alter my post to mention it though because of the inlinkz code thing! LOL!! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh Shel~you poured your whole pearl love and wisdom into this hop and this post and it shows! So much good information to pour through here. Your jewelry is beautiful...each piece is unique and totally wearable. I particularly fell hard for the faceted earrings and the leather double wrap bracelet/choker.
    Thank you so much for being the hostess and for making this a fun, no pressure hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Christine and thanks for noticing the 'love' I poured into my hop/post! And, for the compliments on my pieces - that means a lot. Glad you joined in and I hope you had a fun time w/your pearls!

      Delete
  4. Michelle I love your designs and I love the way you use pearls. My 21 year old daughter has always had a fondness for pearls too and for awhile they were her signature. You can't go wrong with pearls! I love all of these pieces and it's hard to pick a favorite. I love those "big ass" purple pearls - they are just awesome and those faceted pearl earrings I love, love, love. It they happen to make it into your shop or are for sale I would love to know - I simply adore them. Beautiful work. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, thanks for your wonderful compliments, they mean the world! (I'm a huge fan of your work!!) Pearls are definitely my 'signature' - if there's a signature to be had. And, those earrings - I hoard Kristi's components like there's no tomorrow - almost like I hoard some of my more precious pearls. I'm going to have to make more of those because I believe my sister is snatching those up! (she gets all my good stuff!). Thanks for stopping my and enjoying our pearls hop!

      Delete
  5. Wow Shel! Indeed a showcase of fabulous pearl jewelry and information all in one place. I just love the sleeping beauty turquoise with the pearls. Talk about beautiful, high quality materials! I also LOVE the earrings with the faceted green pearls. So different. I'd wear that sweet charm necklace and earrings in a heartbeat and those huge ringed pearls on the wrap bracelet are to die for! Drooling right now. Thanks again for hosting this challenge!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. I'm so glad you were able to join in the pearl hop - it's been a fun one. Thanks for the compliments on my designs - means a lot to me!! I love Sleeping Beauty Turquoise too and try to snatch up a strand or two each time I go to the Tucson gem show. The mine has officially closed and been sold and the rumors are that the current owners will only be mining copper (more money in copper than turquoise) and we'll probably not see anymore new sleeping beauty turquoise - so I'm going to get what's out there while I can still afford it, which won't be much longer, let me tell you!! :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Shel,
    Gorgeous creations! Pearls are so lucious and will never go out of style.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therese. And you're right, pearls never go out of style! :-) Thanks for stopping by the hop!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I don't know where to start!! so much to drool over here .... I simply love your designs Shel! I love leather and pearls together (as you know :) and you just are the bomb when it comes to that mix! And these designs do not disappoint!! and so much amazing information here. I think I'm going to have to bookmark this post and keep coming back! Thanks for a wonderful hop ... it was a design altering experience for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cynthia - and ditto back to you! I'm glad you are coming back to check out the pearls information. I'm going to be re-doing my PEARLS page here on the blog with better info and permanent links in the near future. One of my 'missions' in life is to "Spread the LOVE" of pearls - so hopefully I've done a bit of that w/this hop. I'm so glad you had your 'design altering experience', too. It's always amazing when we have an 'ah-ha' moment or make a realization about our 'style' - of which I'm a huge fan of yours, by the way! ;-)

      Delete
  8. All of your pieces are stunning. Your love of pearls comes through in each of your pieces. You really make the pearls shine in all their iridescent beauty. I especially love the leather knotted pieces, which are to me a perfect example of pearl versatility. Thank you for hosting this hop, its been a wonderful experience and I am even more in love with pearls now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, thanks so much for your compliments on my designs, that really means a lot. I'm so glad you joined in the hop and that you're even more in love with pearls now - just makes my heart sing to hear that! (I'm such a dorkie-nerdie-geek when it comes to pearls - LOL!!)

      Delete
  9. I've been hopping around and drooling over everyone's designs so far this morning - I'm just in awe at the talent you all have and how wonderfully you've used your gorgeous pearls!! From the teeny-tinest ones to the large ones - they all look fabulous - thank you all for jumping in this blog hop. Now,...back to hopping and drooling!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome blog hop, Michelle!! Loved all of your designs, my fave is the men's bracelet with the recycled cross and BIG purple pearls, and the earrings. Thanks for letting me be a part of the hop! I appreciate all the links, and will be coming back to explore. Thank you!! Gina H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Gina and thank you for the compliments on my men's bracelet! I'm glad you liked the hop and if you have any questions once you explore some of the links provided in the hop, I'll be happy to answer as best that I can!

      Delete
  11. Oh Shel, I enjoy following your blog, your work is simply glorious! Thank you so much for hosting this blog hop. - And, faceted pearls?? Oh my, so much good information on pearls... you are a true treasure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much for your wonderful words! And the green faceted pearls - I know, right? I fell hard for them, too! LOL!! :-)

      Delete
  12. Wowza!!! Now I see why you were not done till the last minute! That's a boatload of beauty! Love the faceted pearls the best!
    I have always sat and wondered about knotting...maybe I will do it some day now that I have all this information you gave us!

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kashmira! And if you ever want to know how to hand knot pearls (or other gems/beads) just give me a holler and we'll Skype and you can see how I do it. I'd do a video if I could ever get it to come out clear and good!! (working on it!!) But the ones I have listed are really great! (IMHO!) :-)

      Delete
  13. WOW! ALL your designs are just fabulous! Love the way you design with Pearls...they just come alive. Love the Faceted Pearls and all the information. You are for sure the "BEST PEARL GIRL"!!! Thanks for hosting this wonderful Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, I had a blast hosting this blog hop! Just the chance to gush about pearls makes me happy, but I knew that I needed something else (jewelry designs) to help others read and hop along. My hubby says it gets boring listening to me ramble about my beloved pearls!! LOL!!

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for hosting this hop!!
    I love pearls, too.
    I really like the way you used leather in your creations,it is very in right now.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jasvanti - I'm so happy to hear that you love pearls, too and equally as happy that you joined in the pearl hopping fun with all of us!

      Delete
  15. What gorgeous designs, I adore pearls and use them a lot in my designs, I love the earrings with faceted pearls what a wonderful colour they are!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, thanks so much for your compliments and nice words. I'm glad to hear you use them a lot in your designs, too - I always love hearing that from people! And yes, those green faceted pearls have proven to be a favorite among the pearl hoppers today!

      Delete
  16. Your passion for pearls shines through in your gorgeous designs! Is there anything more exquisite than pearls and Bali silver? LOVE that triple strand bracelet...oooh, how that would feel on my wrist!!! I have spent this morning clicking through all your links. Now I have my eye on some gorgeous baroque and keshi pearls. Thank you so much for sharing your love and knowledge of these gorgeous gems through this hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun hop full of gorgeous pearl designs! I'm sorry I missed this one! I've had an appreciation for pearls growing up with a Mom who was always a big fan of Mikimoto. Shel, your designs are beautiful. I love the combination of leather and pearls - and especially those baroque pearls! You have provided such great insight and resources - you are the pearl go-to designer! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for all of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shel - thank you so much for hosting this hop. I am always so inspired by your designs, and the new ones you've shared are spectacular! The leather cord charm necklace & earrings really stood out to me, and the faceted pearl earrings with Kristi Bowman's components are so beautiful - the copper and pearls perfectly suit each other. Love them all, my friend!

    :) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your pearl designs are out of this world. I'm digging the copper and faceted pearl pair and that leather and pearl bracelet/choker. You really help pearls become more than snobby southern Belles and little old ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Shel - I love your pearl jewelry. It has such a casual elegance - and your pieces are always so unique. I especially love the faceted pearl and copper earrings.
    I enjoyed the blog hop - thank you for hosting. You've also inspired me to try and use more of my pearls!

    Lisa
    http://www.lisayangjewelry.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing what you have to say - I love hearing your comments!